Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A Journey of Watch Collection



If you ask a young Japanese student what is a mechanical watch, 95% of them cannot tell, as since they were borne, watches are driven by Quartz with a tiny battery cells keep them running for 3-5 years. As Japan is dominant by Seiko, Citizen and Casio, the three giants for watches. Very Few people are wearing a Patek Philppe or a Vacheron Constantin in the street. May be some on the central of Ginza. Of course nowadays that is quite common to see Japanese wears Grand Seiko and Rolex….

Where as in Hong Kong, if you ask an average adult what is an Automatic Watches, 55% of men and 85% of women would reply is saying it is a battery Cell driven watch, though there are tons of Rolexes are to be seen in a Cinema and or Train. They are the watch user but not watch collectors… they wear the watch that had to be recognized by his friend and people around them, they might not know the story of the watch at all.

To me, my father triggered me the interests in looking for watches since the first day he bought me a Citizen Hand wind  as it was displayed as “Student Watch” in one of the small shop at Sun Po Kwong where we lived nearby…. With HK$35 back in 1967…. Since the day, I was puzzled by the maze of running for different kind of watches…

When I passed by Rolex shop, I almost stuck my nose through the window to see the beautiful shinning Fluted bezel of a Rolex Day Date… I looked at the price tag, I think I could not afford it in my whole life,,,, that was an equivalent of my father’s four years’ salary… but every time I passed by I told myself ,.. one day I must have one like this…!

Gradually after I worked on M/V… and Oil Rigs… I started to buy myself Rolex Date Just stainless steel, then Cartier Two Tone Santos, Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Pink gold…

After years, I got my first Daytona 16528 with Diamond, and Then I bought a Jaeger LeCoultre Perpetual Calendar in Yellow Gold with single Crown adjustment.

After I worked in the current company, I bought my first wife solid gold Date Just 31mm, but was stolen later on, so sad…

Moreover, I bought a few Rolexes to my wife, for another one… I got her a Solid gold Rolex Date Just with diamonds, and a Tudor Two Tone when we married, an Oyster Perpetual in steel, a Date Just in Yellow gold tone with date… and an Explorer II Polar…

Sooner I bought a few watches for another one I love,, a Day Date Solid gold 19018 Birch, a Day Date 18338  in blue, a Citizen minutes Repeater, an Oyster Quartz stainless 17000 and a two tone 17013 as she loved them for not stop moving after 40 hours….

There are as many answers to that question as there are collectors, but I have noticed one fundamental truth that binds them together. No matter their age, race, experience, and budget, all watch collectors can still remember the first truly remarkable mechanical watch they handled, or bought by someone?

What is the best beloved dress watch I like, it is rare and beautiful Constantin Triple Calendar wristwatch from the 1990s. It is a truly special, functional and not-too-unaffordable, the kind of watch that inspires a new level of respect for the art of watchmaking.  For myself… I think I like most Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, Ademars Piguet, Cartier, Piaget,  Rolex, Panerai, IWC, jaeger..

I don’t know how many Rolex I have owned, but to be honesty I treat them as goods and tools Only few Rolex that I admire… such as the Day Date Onyx 18038, Submariner 16618 in onyx…probably a white Gold 1803 in Mahogany dial… or even a Coral which this is harder to find than to get to the moon by plane….what plane?

Recently when I get old I narrow down my collection and I told myself I prefer to spend less money on more variety of those not too complicated watches rather than to invest heavily on few expensive Complications…

In recently I start to collect some special rare species such as Presidents’ Watches… some watches of certain important people that carry a story…

If you ask me what is the best watch I like… Honesty I think the answer is still the same over the three decades…. A Platinum Day Date…or a nice Patek Dress watches…

If you ask me how about a Nautilus Ref 5712/A-001 or 5711/A-001? All I can say…. That is love and hate…

If you are old watch collector, you probably know what I mean…

HK Snob

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally agree on the Platinum Day-Date and a Patek dress watch. If only I can afford it. Well, maybe in a few years.