Friday, December 14, 2012

Common Questions on Rolex Purchase in HK

After years of exchange over 1,500 comments I Can get an understanding of most of the queries about Buying Rolex in HK.

Q. Can we use Credit card, and Can I get more discount if I use cash?
A. Basically, there is no extra discount by paying cash, and we can use VISA MASTER Charge, American Express, China 銀聯 card, but Diners Club is not preferred.

Q. Could we get a Fake Rolex in Rolex Authorized Dealer?
A. In so far we have not heard of in my understanding over at least the past 5 years.
I believe buying Rolex in Hong Kong Rolex AD is very trustworthy.

Q. What is the discount we can get from Rolex AD?
A. By right, we can have less 5% discount across  all product at Rolex AD,
Except Daytona Stainless steel black dial, selling between HKD$94,000 to HK$97,000 net,
a Submariner Ref, 116610LV and 16610LV which is so hard to get.
And price is about HKD$66,100 for Ref, 116610LV . 
Even ref, 116610LN black now stock is limited in the Rolex AD. Sometimes we had to wait for weeks.
Q. Do Some people really get more discount? Is that Allowed?
A. Yes, some of the VIP or frequent buyers get higher discount.
For example they can get less 10-14% for all Date Just, Day Date model
They can get 8% to 12% for GMT master II, Submariner model.
I think this is not recommended by Rolex, but imagine that some big buyers could buy 100 Rolex in one yer as gift,  and some collector buys also those weird watch that no one wants, do they also get less 5% only!? This is business world that we have to accept it.

Q. What is the price of grey Dealer?
A.The price of grey dealer is cheaper.
For example Explorer II is less 12%-13%
For Black dial HKD$53,000 no box
For White Dial HKD$51,500 no box
If you want box, add another HKD$500.
So there is still a better deal if you go for Grey Dealer.
Daytona Black is HKD$93,000 no box, which is HKD$3,000 cheaper than buying from Rolex AD. Whether it is worth not going to Rolex because of HKD$3,000 is another matter!

Q. Is there any risk in buying grey deal Rolex?
A. All depends how much you know about the sources of the Grey Dealer, for most of the cases is OK. Of course sometimes you have face foe the risk for buying something much Cheaper.

Q. What we should note when we buy Rolex at Rolex AD?
A. Note that the Company name on the warranty card should be same as the one on the invoice.
The Country code should be 888, or 400 that indicates Hong Kong.
The watch is fully packed and sealed with protective tapes.
There is a Rolex Red Chronometer Seal.
Instruction manual and international warranty certificate.
The right Box for your watch.

Q. It is cheaper to buy in HK than in other country?
A. As far as I know, HK still considered one of the best place to buy Rolex for the variety of choice we have, and the prices we are amongst the cheapest in the world, except someplace in Europe like Austria and Dubai that I heard that they are even cheaper by 5-10% but that appears on certain model like Daytona!
On the other side, HK is Cheaper than Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia.
Is Price in HK same as in Macao?
Yes, there is no difference in price between HK and Macao.

Q. Is Price of HK lower than that of China?
A. I think so as I have a lot overseas people station in China come to buy Rolex in HK. Partly HK has more choice for style and Model and price is more attractive.
As for Model like 178344, Hong Kong has all the variety, Diamond at the VI index, MOP (mother of pearl) oyster or Jubilee Strap both available.

Q. Do HK have GST. VAT tax on watch?
A. HK does not impose any sales tax on watch nor other commodities yet.

Q. What Do I learn for living? Do I have any commision with the watch shop I recommend?
A. I am a Marketing Manager for Semiconductor manufacturing Equipment Supplier. I do not have any commision from the watch shops I recommend for people to buy. And some of them even do not know me! As for Rolex AD, those are my friends working there and this is what friends are for, help them to make more sales.
HK Snob

20 comments:

10+3 said...

How about tips of buying 2nd hand?

HK Snob said...

Hi 10+3
The shop should be having good history of good record of selling Good stuff.

The best is having an original Waranty certificate with matching number on the watch case.

Look at the price, supper low price must have something weird!

You should have some basic knowledge of how to tell teh watch is fake or not.

Some watch has cocktail parts, as these things could only be told by expert. For example, people said that there is no Lapis Blue dial on Submariner. and the fact is, there are, but in a very small number been made. if you don;t know, that you may think that is a cocktail Watch.

Ask expert to help if you do not know much about the watch.

Don't easily go for untrustworthy internet website for watch trade.

HK Snob



Unknown said...

Hi Snob,

Re Lapis dial for sub, I was told by a watch trader that he has seen one with dark brown 金沙石 dial. Have you ever heard that before?

A

HK Snob said...

A, I have never heard of and never get a chance to see, if you friend has one, can he send us a picture for us to appreciate!? is that Gold watch!?
HK Snob

Unknown said...

Snob, I didn't ask whether or not he has a picture but I suppose the one he said is a gold one and he mentioned that while he was looking at my one.

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian

You mean your Solid Gold Submariner!?

I think I should not sell my gold Submariner, it is massive, durable, kinda of geart watch that we can wear every day without any feeling of being too high profile!

I should keep an eye on some special version I think besides collecting Day Date!

Snob

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian

Just completed out Company Christmas pary, those buffet is a mess, but we have to pay an amount of HKD$400 equivalent. That is a lot of money here. Now I think the price for cosmetic packaging can be filling up to 80% of the whole product.
Like a watch of the Rolex, a special Dial can take up 99% of the whole watch!
Collector's is always looking at something really rare!

HK Snob

Unknown said...

Hi Snob,

Yes, I meant gold Sub. It is a nice watch and I have been wearing it very often lately. By the way, I just realised that you have played with many many nice Rolex. Mind sharing which one you like the most?
A

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian
I like Rolex, I like AP and I do like PP too but not those made thin profile, as its waterproof function is not good enough as I sweat heavily in Summer. I had a Calatrava but I worn it for about 10 time and I sold it. Well, Amongst, I wear Rolex for most of the time for just one reason, Durable and very independent working when in air, under water or in extreme noisy and vibration environments. It never fails and disappoints me, and most of all, its fits my wrist perfectly, and it has a style of Snob… and design for snob like me. Remember those day in 1980, all Black Society made Gold Rolex a status of power and all went to Champagne gold diamond bezel Rolex DD. Well that had an over influence on the use of Rolex for those people sitting in the I like Only Gold Rolex, but not the stainless steel watch.
So I have already replaced all Submariners, GMT-Master, Daytona, Explorer with Day Date!
My best beloved Rolex is a Day Date Lapis Blue dial if we can find one, as Stella Red is too Feminine I believe, does not mean that I do not like, yes, but I would like to keep money looking for Lapis Blue; that is the same colour for the ever best dream pen, a Watermans Patrician Turquoise, second may be the bright Orange Birch dial, but that should be very bright orange and good balance pattern on the dial that I got one OysterQuartz. Third may go to a Purple that I had already had. And a White Gold Ref 19019 Beard-Paul bought one and still sitting in Rolex Service centre waiting for 4 months changing Chinese Dial, I hope he can sell me a good price when he is bore with it…
I am looking for a Stainless Steel Day Date, I heard that there have been only Two Actual Sample ever Made with Stainless steel by Rolex. That Must costs a great Fortune that only appears in Auctions.

In Short, the list is:

Rolex DD Lapis Blue
Rolex DD Birch Orange
Rolex DD Purple
Rolex DD OysterQuartz White Gold
Rolex DD Platinum Ice Blue
Rolex Gold Submariner Blue Dial (Lapis Blue is impossible to get anymore)
Rolex Gold Submariner Pepsi Colour
Rolex White Gold Submariner

How about yours?

HK Snob

Unknown said...

Referring to your favourites, I took the liberty to post a couple of pictures for sharing. Hope you like them.
[IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/adriantms318/SDB.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/adriantms318/image.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/adriantms318/7A5761D5-EB4C-4AB4-BE0C-FD1A8FC1FA9A-5957-0000037201FEBDB9_zpsf6bf4202.jpg[/IMG]
As far as I know, there are a total of eight samples being made. They are all prototypes and one of them is a prize for the top student of "Swiss Watch School" in 197x. If I remember correctly, insofar, only two have been seen in the auctions and hammered price for the one exposed around 10 years ago was around CHF50k.
Moreover, I was once told by a Serious Rooex collector that he saw one in a watch shop in Old Bond Street around 20 years ago and the then asking price was £20K. He said that watch came with a box different from the usual one as it is bigger and has a silver line circling the inner side of the box. Of course, there is no way to verify what he said.

HK Snob said...

Hiu Adrian
The first one is birch Oysterquartz, I have one.
Second one is Gold Sub, pretty
Third one is a Sun GLass are you sending worong picture, which one has only 8 pcs?
HK Snob

Unknown said...

Oh, sorry. I was talking about the SS DD. I can't copy the pictures from the e-book but I will try to post it later. The third pic is a sunglasses but it is from Rolex. Just for fun.

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian

OH, The SS DD has 8 Pcs... That is too much to buy a SS case for CHF50K!

I had rather keep the $ for the PT DD!! and I believe I can sleep soundy by wearing such a Watch!!

HK Snob

Unknown said...

Have a look of this

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=37&auctionid=31

Unknown said...

Moreover, I attach here below a link with some interesting discussions about DD.
How about a TT DD?!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=238094

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian,
Thanks, Interesting DD, is that OysterQuartz SS, or WG?
HK Snob

Unknown said...

The one I showed you is SS DD housed with automatic movement

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian
I will not spend that money for a SS DD, I prefer YG or PT DD!!
and Desserted with some sugar bit...on dial...
But all it comes is small numbr of unit, the price will rise like the house of HK.
HK Snob

Unknown said...

How about this one? Is this your cup of tea?
[IMG]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/adriantms318/image-2_zps47bacacb.jpg[/IMG]

HK Snob said...

Hi Adrian

WOW, Yes, Myu cup of Tea!!
What a Watch!?
HK Snob