Saturday, April 15, 2023

Preowned or new Rolex

 Well, my first watch I bought using my money was a Rolex Date Just, I sold it with some earning one year later to the second engineer who bought it for his wife... That was my few watches I bought as brand new.

I bought it in a Rolex AD in Jordan road, Price as $5,025, back in 1981. at That time my monthly salary was $4,004. 

Since then I had bought as many may be 100 Rolex but so far may be less than 4 pieces are brand new.

Because I think it's more value I got from buying preowned watch.

Well, many of known buyers that I know, they have very high resistance buying used watch.

Commonly the have an idea, why I have to use someone watch that had been worn before?

Well, I presume that you should not buy any used cars that had been driven by someone or pre-owned home that had been lived by other people? Or you should not go to restaurant that the eating utensils had been used by others?

From the Hygenic point of view, I think used watch if bought from someone, we should change the old strap, and I used to keep the original strap as some buyer wants it. for the watch, we can use some alcohol to clean it, for the bracelet, we can use detergent to wash and clean, that should be OK.

Well, if you are a vintage watch collector like I, I don't mind that watch had been used by someone before.

And the only way I can get vintage watch is buying from the used watch market, unless you can get a NOS vintage, that could be very expensive!

Buying new watch could be good of course if I were financially strong, but under certain budget, I can't  buy new watches. And once you bought new watch, and using it for certain period of time, its classified as pre-owned watch already. a brand new Daytona 116500 white is now $280,000, but if you use it for two months with some hairline scratches, the price is $240,000, (10 percents of the watch value is gone, or may be higher if there is nothing scratches could be found. 

So I always preferred buying pre-owned Rolex, because of the value.

HK Snob

Remarks unit here is HKD

No comments: