Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chinese's Superstition on Rolex Colour


My Work Horse Rolex Day Date White gold


Greg's new Purchased Explorer II in HK on 25 Jan 2013

When we used to buy gold Rolex since the 60’s, the most popular dial colour is Gold Champagne dial as it stands for “噤撈", that carries a meaning of "Continuous Success!"
 This Chinese tradition keeps unchanged till now.

The most unpopular model is likely White Gold with Blue dial, as that means “難撈", in Chinese, it means "Very difficult to make a living!"

Rolex with White Dial isn’t so good too as it means “白撈”!, That is “Nothing” in Chinese.

Rolex with Black dial isn’t good too, that is “黑撈”, "Black dirt?"

So in short, these are not the preferred colour dials:

1. Blue

2. Black

3. White

The Preferred colour on dial is:

1. Gold

2. Red

3. Purple

4. Brownish Red (It was very popular in 80s)

So what is the best Colour dial of Rolex for Chinese?

1. Yellow Gold case and strap

2. Yellow Gold Champagne Dial

3. Diamond Dial

4. Diamond Bezel

Recently, we see that HK and Chinese people seem started to accept Black dial.

As For myself I still like most the White Gold Submariner in Blue Dial and I used to wear a Rolex Day Date in white gold with Diamond dial and Diamond bezel. I find that it makes me happy and work along with people smoothly.  I like what I like and superstition is not my concern for Rolex.


Ps The Rolex Day Date as my daily working Watch
The Explorer II White dial Ref 216570 Greg purchased yesterday in HK in one of the HK major Rolex AD.

Hi Greg,
I went to meet the manager who sold you the Explorer II, he told me that you speak fluent Mandarin!! Where did you learn?
I hope the Rolex will be your long trusting working partner!

HK Snob


10 comments:

GPPM said...

Hi HK Snob. It has been two weeks since I bought the Explorer II and I am still loving it. As you stated below, the price in HK is about 20 to 25 percent cheaper than Australia RRP.

I have also been very surprised at how accurate the movement is. Although it is only two weeks since I bought the watch, so it is still settling in, the watch is keeping as good an accuracy as the quartz watch it replaced. Only 4 seconds fast after two weeks.

Will be in Hong Kong again in a couple of weeks and will catch up with you for a coffee and I can tell you how I learnt to speak Mandarin. Greg

HK Snob said...

Hi Greg,

Wow, that is a Super Select Rolex!
My Day Date is gaining about 3 seconds a day, yours is 4 seconds in Two weeks! Thanks to the new Movement design I think.
I will be in HK only Saturday, Sunday and Monday as I told you before. It would be nice to meet you and listen to your Learning Mandarin Story!
I am Here to give you the best Greeting in $nake year: Kung Hei Fat Choi".

HK Snob

GPPM said...

Xin nian kuai le HK Snob.

I don't know how you find the time to do all of your blogging. It is always interesting to read your blog and I think you help a lot of people, like me, with your advice.

I hope the year of the snake brings you good fortune and a new watch or two!

HK Snob said...

Hi GPPM
Your Madarin is superb!
I think you must study in China and probably with a private lady tuitor!?

Thanks for the regard, a watch or two for a year is not enough for Watch Fever...

You know why people calls me "Fever", when I like something, I put time in it...
That is why when I took lunch with my family, I was typing on the iPad for the Rolex Slogan Article...
Wish you see you!!
HK Snob

HK Snob said...

Dear GPPM
Sorry, again a lot fo typos!!
I think you see what I mean...
Wish you also Xin nian Kuai Le too!
Paul

Unknown said...

What is the price of Rolex sub date black in HK now

HK Snob said...

Hi
Jirapanj

AD HK$57,510 after 10% discount card

Gray dealer like me HK$55,000 cash

HK Snob

HK Snob said...

Hi Abimanyu

DJII 41mm Ref 116334 with Fluted bezel 18KT two tone HK MRSP is HK$67,000
if buying at AD using card. less 10%
Buying from gray dealer using cash less 20% est.
HK Snob

Tero ja Tanja said...

Hi there,

I am interested on 116681 Yacht-Master - How much is this in HK? I am planning to travel there in few weeks time...

Tez

HK Snob said...

Hi Tez
118881 List Price HK$195,900
If Rolex AD less 10% card
if Gray Dealer est. HK$15X,XXX cash, Exact price need to check only if you are interested, Whatsapp me
HK Snob